The return-to-work plan and process are based on the idea of partnership between all the parties involved and a shared commitment to the goal of returning injured or ill workers to employment.
Having a concrete return-to-work plan and process ensures that all parties involved participate in a framework encouraging reflections on expectations and possible challenges.
Some companies choose to enforce return to work coordinator training, so as to have in-house specialists. Having someone exclusively handle this issue, assures an optimum process – rather than deploying a standard HR professional (who will already have other tasks to fulfill with a higher degree of urgency).
A return to work plan will:
- Inventory the case details (plus any alterations to the compensation scheme)
- List the stakeholders involved
- Set a concrete goal
- List the actions and activities required to meet the goal
- Set a timeline for meeting the goal, as well as a daily schedule
- List any job modifications (schedule, tasks, workplace set-up)
- List healthcare considerations
- Set-up evaluation dates for reviewing the process and the progress
Return to work plans and programmes can be supported by tools such as return to work checklists and return to work interview and meeting.
A return to work interview is a face-to-face or online meeting between an employee and the employer representative with a focus on reviewing the process and stepping stones of returning to work.
How Onboarding Solutions Can Facilitate Return to Work Strategies
An employee onboarding software, such as introdus, can also provide a more streamlined way of following along the return-to-work plan, and reboarding. Through an onboarding software, prior to reporting back to work, you can:
- Stay up to date with the latest happenings within the company
- Brush up on new guidelines enforced during your absence
- Keep a high engagement and not lose your sense of belonging to the company
- Store and easily access the timeline and objectives of the return to work strategy and specific plan as well as your return to work checklist
- Gain access to return to work training materials
- Ensure effective communication between all parties involved