Additionally, prior to formulating the employee onboarding survey questions, one would have to find answers to the following questions:
- At what stage is the employee in their onboarding journey? It is just the beginning, or is it the end?
- Is there room for adjusting onboarding process?
- Is the survey focused on social and cultural integration or is it strictly focused on job performance?
- (Linked to the previous question) Who is going to conduct the survey? HR? The line manager? The Onboarding Buddy?
New Hire Survey Questions: Key Themes
Once the objectives of the onboarding are clarified, and the specifics of when, who and why of conducting the survey, it can be a good idea to identify the key themes of the survey. Once the themes are identified, the new hire survey questions can be formulated with ease.
We have identified the following key themes that would serve as the blueprint for the new hire survey questions:
1. Recruitment vs Onboarding: Expectations vs. lived realities
2. Onboarding feedback: Satisfaction with the onboarding process
3. Onboarding feedback: Role clarity
4. Onboarding feedback: Additional needs
5. Integration: Engagement and connectedness
Invitation to the Onboarding Survey Template
We have drafted an invitation to the onboarding survey template. Communication and transparency are always welcome when you are still working towards being integrated in a new company.
Receiving an invitation to the onboarding survey is a great way to know in advance what to expect.
We have decided to include in our invitation to the onboarding survey template information on the purpose of the survey, the general topic of discussion, as well as the stage of the onboarding journey when the survey will take place.
Thus, we have drafted for you an invitation to the onboarding survey email template, which can be easily adapted to any stage of the onboarding journey, be it at the very end, or after only 30 days from starting your onboarding process.
You can download the invitation to the onboarding survey template below:
Get the Invitation
Onboarding Questions for New Hires
As promised at the beginning of the article, we have drafted a list of onboarding questions for new hires. We have decided to structure these questions in categories that would reflect your onboarding journey.
Hence, our onboarding questions for new hires are structured into: day 14 onboarding survey questions (focused on the new job orientation), 30 day onboarding survey questions, end of onboarding survey questions (post onboarding survey).
Additionally, we have included some specific virtual onboarding survey questions, as we acknowledge that a virtual onboarding process presents some specific challenges that any employer must be proactive towards.
So here are the questions you might be presented with during your onboarding feedback survey:
Day 14 Onboarding Survey Questions
1. Was the job description presented to you during the recruitment process accurate?
2. Did you get a clear overview of your onboarding process from the first day on the job?
3. How would you describe your Preboarding process?
4. Was it important for you to have access to Preboarding activities?
5. Did you feel ready and confident to start your new job? Did the preboarding activities contribute to this in any way?
6. Were you stressed on the first day at work (onboarding day)? Why (not)?
7. Was your equipment ready on day 1?
8. What was the most important element for your onboarding to date?
9. Is there anything that you wish we had included in your onboarding programme for the first 14 days on the job? What?
10. Did you start feeling engaged with your team and the workplace?
30 Day Onboarding Survey Questions
1. Are you satisfied with the amount of time spent together with your supervisor/ mentor/ manager? Do you need more time with him/her/them?
2. Have you received sufficient training? Has it answered all your questions or concerns?
3. If not, what supplementary new employee training needs do you still have?
4. What is the biggest challenge you experienced to date?
5. Do you feel like your team has put in sufficient efforts to integrate and support you?
6. Is there anything that is still unclear to you relating to your role and tasks?
7. Do you feel productive?
8. Did you identify any information gaps? If yes, what were they?
9. Do you feel like your work is meaningful for your team?
10. Do you feel welcome?
Specific Virtual Onboarding Survey Questions
1. Did you feel that enough consideration and effort was put into integrating you notwithstanding the virtual onboarding process?
2. Were you presented with enough opportunities for establishing connections with the team and getting to know them outside of the team meetings?
3. Do you feel connected to your new workplace?
4. Is it clear for you what is the mission and vision of the organisation and how your work relates to them?
5. Do you think that an on-premise onboarding would have presented you with better onboarding experiences? In what way?
6. Was there anything else that your virtual onboarding should have included? What?
7. What was the most important element of your virtual onboarding?
8. Did you achieve full role clarity notwithstanding the virtual onboarding process?
9. Did you feel welcome in the team even if working remotely?
10. Do you feel like you are a good fit for the company culture?
End of Onboarding Survey Questions